View Single Post
Old 01-11-2014, 06:09 PM   #3
mjh1965

Re: Martin's mi-STRESS, 1965 Long Fleetside C10 "Rebuild in ENGLAND"

I decided to do this as a running restoration up to the point where I need to dismantle the truck to a point where it is no longer roadworthy from a legal point of view.

That way I get to use the truck as much as possible all year and also get to feel out it's niggles and figure out what parts I need to buy to either fix bits or improve its handling, stance and general safety.

When I bought the truck, I missed out on some bits in my excitement to own it, which have surfaced in the mean time.

Anyway, the truck came with heavy sheet metal bed covers and a split rear tailgate that was given to me by the previous owner as he had replaced it with a new tailgate, but he had left the metal channels that had been welded on the top of the bed sides. See pics below.

I started cutting the welds back with a grinder.

Sanded back.

Note my neighbours Beetles as well on his drive, he also has about 4 Harleys and works as and engineer/machinist (Very handy)

Once sanded back, I bare metalled the the whole side and removed about a wheelbarrow load of Bondo as well

Added some red oxide primer, tried the new wheels I had bought as well.

While I was at it, I removed the side filler flaps and welded up the holes, presumably long distance tanks that were fitted before at some point in the trucks life.
mjh1965 is offline   Reply With Quote