View Single Post
Old 03-06-2018, 06:41 PM   #1
Dan in Pasadena

WARNING: RANT! #!*%’g Aftermarket Side Windows & Wings

So I attempted to install my side windows and wings today. The result is a total dumpster fire. I am PISSED off at myself for stupidly thinking I got a “deal” on used-but-basically-new ones off Craigslist. This was 2+ yers ago. They’ve been resting in my garage awaiting inatallation.

These are apparently aftermarket chrome-framed windows and wings and they are dimensionally not even close to factory ones. And of course I got rid of my factory windows - let that be a lesson to me and everyone. USE FACTORY PARTS IF AT ALL POSSIBLE!

1. I followed the video on YouTube.
2. I applied THREE layers of masking tape to protect the paint.
3. The top of the divider bar stuck up too high to allow the installation but it appeared if I ground it down about 1/8” or so it would fit.
4. I swallowed hard and did it - see photo.
5. If the upper “tabs” on the wing assembly come close to aligning with the factory holes in the door, the larger main holes on the divider bar are too far “up” to get the bolts in.
6. There is no way to make these assemblies fit properly.
7. After attempting to install the wing assembly 2-3 times I pulled it out, peeled off the tape to find I’d CHIPPED THE HELL OUT OF MY NEW PAINT JOB!

So, a half hour later I’m barely calm enough to post this. I’ll take these assemblies with me to The Truck Shop to compare but frankly I doubt their new ones are significantly better. I’ll likely be shopping for used factory units - anyone have some they want to sell? Then I’ll have to totally disassemble them, have frames chromed, reassemble, yada, yada, yada.

Does ANYONE know if there is an aftermarket company that makes some that fit? Anyone have ANY advice that will help?

Here’s the damn pic’s.
Attached Images

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote