View Single Post
Old 02-26-2017, 11:23 PM   #1
Mattchu60

Need help with plan for chassis priming/painting

I have been reading and reading on the internet for weeks and I have basically just confused myself on what to do. I have a frame which I will be sandblasting down to bare metal and then want to prime and paint right away afterwards (with a sprayer, not brush).

At first I was going to do a POR-15 type product, but then read about it peeling over a few years and also that its not great for clean metal, better to use on rusted metal, can't topcoat it, it fades, etc.

Then I read about Tractor Supply paint and how its tough and durable and pretty affordable too. I went out and picked up a gallon of black and the reducer and hardener that goes with it the other day.

Tonight I was reading about priming and wow - I just have myself confused. I have about a 1/2 gallon of self-etching primer on hand already, but then I ready how it doesn't harden and if there is any rust on the frame it'll cause issues over time. Then I read about epoxy primers being great, but also the frame would need to be sanded afterwards to give it some bite or it won't adhere well (sand blasting leaves a rough surface, figured that would be enough?).

Then I read that the TSC paint used to be great when it was valspar, but now that is Majic brand its not so wonderful anymore.

I'd like some opinions on the above. What I would like to do is just grab some Majic primer to go with the paint I bought instead of the self-etching stuff i already have - my concern is the stuff is not as good as I originally thought.

Main goal is durability - not a show truck but something that will used for work and driven on gravel.

Any input on a plan would be great. I over-researched and have just confused myself now.
Mattchu60 is offline   Reply With Quote