View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 10:02 PM   #10
MattPSU

Re: Crocodile Rocks Build Thread

Lots of progress since my last post. I removed the front clip & disassembled the front suspension. I also removed most of the engine accessories - fan, pulleys, alternator, power steering pump, manifolds, carb, intake, etc. I cleaned and painted the block the best I could with it still in the truck. I've also cleaned and painted the pulleys, intake & water pump. I still need to work on the manifolds, power steering stuff, alternator, etc.

I then moved on to the frame and firewall. The frame from the firewall forward, as well as the upper and lower arms & spindles, have been cleaned, de-greased and wire-wheeled. Again, a very time consuming, dirty process.

Since I had easy access to it, I started to strip the paint from the firewall too. There are a few rust spots and I was able to find another board member (Ed - 68corvair) whose going to help me weld in patches where the rust has eaten through. We may even do some firewall shaving. We'll see what we can get done while he's available. Hopefully we'll get to that in the upcoming weeks.

In the mean time, I ordered the Porterbuilt Stage One front kit from Pro Performance. I plan to paint the frame & suspension components over one of the next few weekends depending on the weather which should have everything ready for reassembly once it arrives.

I also need new front brake lines & hoses, and I managed to mangle one of my transmission cooling lines so add those to the list! I'm planning on going to the Run to the Sun in Myrtle Beach in mid-March to pick up a few other "Shiny" items like valve covers, air cleaners, etc. to finish up the engine compartment.

My short term goal is to have it back on the road to be able to use it some this summer, and maybe even take it to Charlotte for the get together after the Power Tour.
Attached Images

1972 Chevy Cheyenne SWB - Build: Porterbuilt State 1 Front & Rear, Bolt in Notch, McGaughys 2.5 Drop Spindles, Boyd Welding Fuel Tank

UPSTATE SC GM TRUCK CLUB: FACEBOOK WEBSITE
MattPSU is offline   Reply With Quote