View Single Post
Old 11-08-2018, 04:35 PM   #1
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA

Move dash wires = no start

Even though I finally have the 67 GMC 3500 running, I still have not completely fixed all the wiring issues. I have been fine-tooth combing the under dash wires, and the headlight and taillight ones as well since I bought it. I have fixed 99% of the wires that the squirrels had for lunch, and replaced any otherwise bad ones I have found. For the past several months I have been dealing with the sight of a mass of rainbow-spaghetti (wires) where the gauges will be installed soon.
But I have noticed an annoying problem ever since it has been running. If I move these dash wires, the truck (when the key is turned) mysteriously will turn over, but will not fire. The first time this happened, I moved the tangled mess back to where I had relocated it from and this fixed the issue. Whenever this happens, it also sometimes makes a the starter turn weakly, unless you mess with the ignition wires.
But today I started cleaning up the wiring mess by zip tying them together, and I must now figure out what the problem is, not the symptom. Any ideas from the electrical experts?
PROJECT JIGSAW 1967 GMC C3500
GREAT WHITE 1986 Blazer M1009
HIGHWAY BY THE SEA is offline   Reply With Quote