View Single Post
Old 01-14-2019, 04:22 PM   #27
trevarthan

Re: Intermittent power loss (need help troubleshooting please)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
The carb may need rebuilt, but before I make that suggestion I need a better understanding of the existing vacuum line connections.

In my first post I ask about the "T" on the PCV vacuum lines. From the first picture above, I thought B-A was a single line that looped across the valve cover and back to the PCV "T". I now see that A and B both go across to the pass fender and to the Charcoal canister.
My question was and still is, what is the vacuum line on the driver side of the "T" and what is it connected to?
I'm happy to collect photos and video of this vehicle.

The vacuum line on the driver side of the "T" Looks like it is connected to a port in the intake manifold:

Quote:
The large casting port on the carb air horn usually would have a fitting that would connect a hose to the charcoal canister. Sometimes the casting is there, but not drilled out.

The open port directly below the fuel inlet is probably for the air cleaner Thermac door. Just checking.
There are two vacuum lines on the air horn. One goes to a pancake on the inlet:

The other goes to that port on the carb below the b-nut:

Both go to a sensor of some kind on the air cleaner assembly.

top of air cleaner, open and removed:

bottom of the air cleaner:

That sensor is labeled AC (auto choke?) and looks like it has a port for an electrical connector (inside the air cleaner), but it's never had anything plugged in there for as long as I've owned it. No clue what that is. Let me know if you know. I'm curious.

Quote:
I see a vacuum line connected to the distributor vacuum advance, but I can't see it on the other side, connecting to the carb? There is a steel line laying against the valve cover, but would still like to see where it is connected.
It is connected to the carb here:

I've tested the vacuum advance on the distributor with a rented hand held vacuum pump. Seems to be working (saw the lever move), but I don't know if it's within spec or not because I don't know the specs or where to find them.

EDIT: I just noticed you asked about that sloped port on the carb. It does appear to be drilled to me, according to this photo with the cleaner removed:

I took a video of the auto choke opening for the previous poster. At the end of the video I pan around the carb a bit for you. This link should take you right to that point in the video (turn your sound down - loud):
https://youtu.be/94MVneCeIDE?t=473

Last edited by trevarthan; 01-14-2019 at 04:37 PM.
trevarthan is offline   Reply With Quote