View Single Post
Old 12-29-2014, 01:29 PM   #7
americanmusc1e

Re: Does this steering look right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by special-K View Post
How is it aligned when pointed straight? If your toe is adjusted "out" too far then the outer wheel will not be turned enough and the inner wheel will be turned too far, either way you turn.

If the steering isn't centered after a lift, both wheels will turn sharper in one direction and not enough in the other. The wheels need to be pointed straight ahead with steering wheel making same turns in both directions. Adjustment is in the drag link.

If either or both arms are bent* in the knuckle(s) where the tie rod ends bolt, you will have a toed out situation and truck won't want to drive straight. The inner wheel will be turning too far and inner not enough (if both bent). If one is bent, that wheel will turn sharper when to inside. If damage was recent, you may be able to see surface rust flaked off or other signs of "stretching"

*Actually "straightened out" from it's naturally bent position is what I've seen.
The truck is two hours away from me right now. I'll do some measuring when I get back home. I have a set of toe plates so i should be able to get a pretty good measurement

Instagram: @americanmusc1e

OLD SKOOL-- 1970 C10. 454/Th400/3.07 posi Build Thread
FARM TRUCK----1949 Chevrolet 3800 Power Wagon Hauler Build Thread

1999 4wd OBS Tahoe - daily.

DM me if you can't see photos i posted
americanmusc1e is offline   Reply With Quote