View Single Post
Old 01-26-2008, 01:20 PM   #14
superpieboy

Re: 62 chevy torsion bars to airbag conversion

thanks for everyones help on this issue, i have a good idea now what i need to do, i can get a top plate a cup, weld it onto the lower a arm, press out the torsion bars.

i can build a lower a arm plate and weld that onto the lower plate were i think it will sit the way i want it, and cut some of the cross member,add a plate ect.

has anyone ever torched a torsion bar into, after unloading the tension of course.

i think that i will work on the lower a arms and build the top plate, it looks like i woould not have a lot of clearance for the bag when its deflated, so i will have to cut some off the cross member, also lowering the lower plate into the lower arm, or what about welding the lower plate to the bottom of the a arm, this would give me about 2.5 inch's more of clearnce, then i would not have to trim from the cross member...

the only thing that concerns me is the lower ball joint, it looks like it is connected to a plate on the lower arm that also has the rubber cushion attached. i would like to do with out the plate, i will have to get a picture of the 62 front end and post it here so i can better describe.

i dont want to be too low, if theres such a thing. with this step van i can add 4 inchs to the lower body and this will appear to be lower that actual. take a look at the step van above you can tell that they added to the lower body.

thanks
jeff
superpieboy is offline   Reply With Quote