View Single Post
Old 04-22-2011, 04:12 AM   #5
petey-pablo
"THE GREEN GOBLIN"

Re: BROWN WHITE Striped wire from the Ignition switch Burnt what can cause this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
The brown/white wire you describe runs from the key switch to the firewall block on the diagrams I have. It is joined there by a solid brown wire that runs back to the cluster plug to pin 8 on the idiot light dash. It is used to feed the alternator field exciting circuit through the regulator.The ammeter dash does not have this wire. On the other side of the firewall block (engine side) it goes to solid brown and goes to the terminal 4 on the external regulator and if the alternator has been converted to internal regulator it runs to terminal 1 on the alternator.

This diagram shows the b/w wire from the key switch.

Attachment 736112

This one shows it continues to the firewall block, joining with the other brown wire to the cluster plug.

Attachment 736114

Here is the alternate view of the brown wire going from the key switch to the external voltage regulator.
Attachment 736111

Here is the conversion diagram. It shows the diagram with the idiot light and the Accessory wire feed to the fuse panel is left out but it still is in the circuit.

Attachment 736110

Now if some one has converter the alternator and ran a separate wire maybe they just cut the stock wire off and left it hanging and it may be touching a ground. This wire is hot from the key and is not fused except by the fusible link near the battery. It is small enough to burn before the FL in any case and the burn would start nearest the hot source and continue to the ground.

If you were using this wire to feed the high amp fans without a relay then the amperage draw would be enough to burn the insulation off the wire. You are right to trace the wire from the key switch to wherever it goes. If you replaced it where did you run it to?
I am useing a 100amp 10Si Alternator and the wire harness was new and was already converted to use a internal regulated Alternater so I do not have an external regulator anymore. I am running both fans on relays and a separet fuse block all of its own including Electric Water Pump,Electric Fuel pump , and both fans all have relays For each item I bought a relay kit & each fan has it's own relay to wire them up.....

"I have them wired to a Painless CirKit Boss Auxiliary Fuse Block ignition hot and since it has three 20 Amp constant hot and four ignition hot circuits I have the Red wire to constant hot directly hooked up the battery junction block. The ignition activated wire that I am useing to activate this fuseblock with the key on is an extra red wire that was in my Engine Wire Harness on the passenger side this is an after market American AutoWire Engine Harness.. Do you guys think I am over loading this Fuse Block? Painless Part#70207- Provides three 20 Amp constant hot and four ignition hot circuits with a maximum total amperage handling of 40 Amps.
Attached Images

Front 2.5inch Spindles with 2inch Springs Rear 4inch drop Springs.
454BBC TH400,Posi

1971 Cheyenne 10 Long Fleet Side
454BBC TH350,Posi Sold

Drive it like you stole it!
Petey-pablo@sbcglobal.net
petey-pablo is offline   Reply With Quote