View Single Post
Old 04-10-2018, 04:28 PM   #14
e015475

Re: Custom reroute for reworked harness

While you still need the temp sensor, you can move it to the back of the engine on the other bank where it is a lot less conspicuous.

Getting the ECM inside the cab helped a lot, but the coil packs are damned ugly. I shaved them and bought harness extensions so I could either put the coil packs on the inside of the firewall in the cab, or down on the frame rails. Here's a shot of the shaved valve covers painted in a wrinkle black finish-

Getting rid of that gawd-awful black conduit and electrical tape is the next order of business. For everything I can't tuck or hide that can be seen when you open the hood, I'll de-pin the connectors and cover the wires with black Techflex, with the last inch or so to the connector covered with heat shrink - no tape allowed! Buy several sizes for a tight fit. I'll also heat shrink at every 'branch' of the harness to clean it up some. You can buy literally 100s of pieces of heat shrink in a kit off ebay for about $10.

If you're using any kind of crimp connector (other than the Packard crimper for connector pins) - Stop. Learn how to do a 'western union' or lineman's splice and solder and heat shrink all connections.

All the wiring from the front of the engine will run under the intake manifold to the back of the motor and on to the ECM

For other parts of the harness that will be out of view, I bought a product called "Roundit 2000" made by Federal Mogul. It looks like a mesh covering but is actually split down the middle to allows you to get at the harness if needed.

Well, that's my plan anyway.............
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote