View Single Post
Old 03-18-2017, 05:16 PM   #10
Enginewolf

Re: 65' truck future 472 caddy swap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64shortbox View Post
Enginewolf,
I was going to this swap myself but the freshly rebuilt 472 I was supposed to get got sold before I could pick it up.
But here's what I remember IF I remember correctly. You need an oil pan out of a 472 to 500 CI inch Eldorado. The regular Caddys are front sump pans and won't work with our trucks.The Eldo pans look funky because they had to clear the drive axles. Another option I read uses the 368 oil pan. It will work with a 472 Caddy Motor but not a 500 unless you clearance the side of the pan with a BFH to clear the stroke of the 500 crank. The 368 is considered a mid sump pan but will supposedly clear in our trucks. You will also need the correct long oil pick up tube & screen to match the pan. You will also need the front oil pump off a 425 or 368 because the oil filter is moved to a different angle to clear our frames and they take a smaller oil filter. Of course you will need the 425, 472 or 500 motor mounts - the frame & motor sections. Any other questions or concerns please ask. It's been a while but I dug into this a few years ago.
Damn that does suck. I got my hands on a 68 472 and a th400 transmission, I do know I need to replace the oil pan because it'll hit thr crossmember, and i know I need to do something about motor mounts because mine won't work. I know alot of guys notch the firewall to get the engine to clear also. I will definitely message you because I have tons of questions Haha
Enginewolf is offline   Reply With Quote