View Single Post
Old 12-03-2017, 12:10 PM   #12
e015475

Re: Vintage Air A/C Dash Vents

It wouldn't be too hard to build a plenum that fits behind the dash where the radio speaker and put a couple of adjustable vents in it and direct it through the speaker grill. But it would sure be nice if Old Air has done it for me.

Unlike the AC in your house, a car AC relies on a lot of moving air hitting your upper torso and face, especially starting up after a heat soak in the sun. I know here in Phoenix I aim the vents in my cars right at my face when I get in the vehicle after its been parked in the sun in the 115F summers, but after a few minutes of driving I have to turn the fan down and turn the ducts away when the sweat is evaporated and the ducts and evaporator are cold.

I'm a little concerned that blowing through the grill will add turbulence to the airflow slowing it down and I wonder if the Old Air system addresses this concern. If it blows through the entire radio speaker opening, which is pretty big, the velocity of the air might not be enough to cool me after a summer heat soak.
e015475 is offline   Reply With Quote