View Single Post
Old 06-16-2017, 04:17 PM   #28
mattfranklin

Re: valve covers, engine rebuild, other stuff

It takes a lot of finesse and patience to do an engine. Without the experience of having done it before the risks get higher. I think the suggestions are to give you a high probability of success.

If you really want to do it, the small-block Chevy is pretty forgiving. There is a good book by David Vizard (https://www.amazon.com/How-Rebuild-Y.../dp/1557880298). I'm using that book on mine. But I've already done several valve jobs and a complete Ford FE 390 V-8.

Summit has a set of cheap micrometers that are not quite machinist grade, but still can tell you if the engine has been machined oversize on the cylinder bores or undersize on the crank journals.

I'm rebuilding mine because the previous rebuilder used standard rod bearings on a 0.010 undersize crank. It made quite a noise. ;-)

And as a fallback position (if something is seriously wrong with the engine, or goes bad during the rebuild) a crate engine would be a safety net.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancelot69 View Post
Well, I don't know anything about vacuum other than if the hoses aren't connected properly it won't run right. However, I have rebuilt a few engines in the past and just made sure the vacuum lines were connected like they were before I took the engine out, although the last time I did that was over 20 years ago.

Is it because I don't know if valve covers will fit from year to year? Or because I don't know about the crankcase pressure? Yeah, I had no idea that would cause oil to blow out the seals.

Seems to me like $83 for a re-ring kit, or even $400 for one of the more expensive ones, is a heck of a lot cheaper than $6000 for a crate engine...

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567340

Last edited by mattfranklin; 06-16-2017 at 04:30 PM.
mattfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote