View Single Post
Old 02-17-2010, 10:51 PM   #107
Supertex

Re: Chevy Sport Truck questions

I took note of these trucks when they first hit the streets, and decided to take a plain-jane and dress it up after them. I really wanted an extended cab, and managed to find a 93 Silverado with a G80 3.73 and a clean interior.

I traded the 40/60 seat for Z-71 buckets/console, sanded off the infamously flaky factory white paint and reshot it white. I Picked up the SS trim +2 extra door pieces for the x-cab, door and grille badges, and a 94 Tahoe Sport grille. I managed to find a set of the black SS hubcaps (already had the wheels) and a source for the 92 SS cluster. I liked how it was going and decided to go the extra mile and do what Chevy should have done, and put an L98 with TPI in it. It would have been a dream - ZZ4 Cam, ~10:1 KB slugs, balanced rotating assembly, 2.02/1.60's...*sigh*...but then came the nightmare of the TBI>TPI swap. Never again. It's five hours to the closest person to burn a chip...harness woes..."needs different injectors". By the time all was said and done, I'd pretty much lost the drive (pardon the pun) to continue with the project. I sacrificed the tire-blistering capacity for a stock chip and tried to be satisfied with the fact that it was "peppy."

The pic is post-spindles, pre-shackle

Now I have the bug again, and I want to finish it. I'll be taking it to Fuel Injection Specialties in San Antonio, since they can fine-tune it on the chassis dyno and that should put the tiger back in the tank. I still need the foglight harness, the lights, and air dam, as well as the rear bumper trim and the paintable bumpers. The bumpers are easy but I'm not sure if I can still get the trim from the dealer. My guess is no. Also, I can't seem to find the decals anymore (eventually I'll want to repaint it), and I'm reluctant to use something cut by the "local decal shop," even if it's a dead ringer. Things like sunfade worry me about aftermarket, and the factory decal backing papers are cut with reference points to align and position the decals properly. Anyone happen to have a source for really good repro stuff, or happen to know of a site that might have a listing for the GM part numbers for that type of thing?
Supertex is offline   Reply With Quote