Thread: Ramp Rat winch
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2017, 03:06 AM   #5
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: Ramp Rat winch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy4639 View Post
This looks like it will work to me. I will install a 12 volt meter to keep a eye on it and when needed flip the switch to charge the extra battery.
It will have to be charged with a charger whenever I can though right and the alternator will just keep it topped off.
How about it Vette?
You still working on that winch? I thought you'd have that all working by now.
If you want to use both batteries then you will have to run large cables from the winch battery to the main battery junction. The solenoid would enable you to use both batteries, and you could charge both of them with the alternator. I wouldn't do it all the time though cause you might overcharge one or the other, and if one battery crapped out it would take the other one with it. You know like an internal short or having a drain on the main battery.

It looks like that diagram will do the job and you could charge it with a 10 gauge wire from the main battery junction with an optional switch like it shows in the diagram. Yes you should charge the winch battery with a battery charger if you run it down low.

You have to ask yourself, Do I really need the second battery to support the winch battery, and do I need the winch battery to support the main battery, or can I just use the winch battery and run a charge wire from the alternator junction for the winch battery.
Whatever you decide I know it'll be awesome.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote