View Single Post
Old 03-31-2020, 10:47 PM   #22
RustyPile

Re: Need some brake help, please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleChief View Post
I think you misunderstood the thickness. I did not remove .27" - I only took off about .04". They were measuring anywhere from .375" to .3125" (1 pad had .375", the others were closer to .3125" measured with digital calipers) of pad material out of the box. I ended up at .27" thickness of material after shaving them down.

Maybe the calipers are from a '72. I don't know. But, looking up brake pad part numbers, they were the same from '71 and up to '76. We looked them up for all of those years, and they were the same part numbers. DS52, or something like that.

I'm not trying to argue with you, just stating what my situation is. I'm learning as I go, and I'm storing your info in the back of my head for future reference. I appreciate your replies and help!
Oh, believe me, I know you're not arguing with me.. But you have to understand (and I realize I might be coming across as a know-it-all) but believe me, I'm the voice of experience.. First, I don't believe you ruined or otherwise, compromised those pads by shaving off 40 - 50 thousandths of the pad thickness.. But I do consider that a band aid fix, and the last approach I'd use to solve the problem.. Having studied your situation, I think, even though your brakes work as the should, you have the wrong calipers.. The pad "capture area" is too small (tight) for 1.25 rotors and new pads to fit in the same space..

As an example, last year I did a total rebuild on the brakes of my '71.. New power brake booster and master cylinder conversion, new calipers, pads, rear shoes, drums, wheel cylinders and all 3 rubber brake hoses.. The local place where I shop had only one '71 brake caliper... So I bought two '78 calipers with hoses to match.. Every piece fit perfectly and the brakes on my truck will stick your face to the windshield.. But you have to understand that experience has taught me what pieces can be interchanged and still work together..
RustyPile is offline   Reply With Quote