View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 08:53 AM   #5
rpmerf

Re: 67-72 60ft questions

I'll answer what I can... Haven't done racing in these trucks, but I have in Dodge turbo cars.

Quote:
2. If I have zero wheelspin with street tires at full pressure, is it worth trying anything with suspension/tires to better my 60-ft or is it all about torque available at launch?
If it's hooking good, look at making more power. Once you are making enough power to spin, I would worry about tires and suspension.

Quote:
3. Right now my first priority will be getting a real cam. The LS2 cam is proven at the top end, but trades off midrange for similar-sized aftermarket cams.
I believe you want to focus on the 2500-3000 RPM range. If that cam is going sacrifice power in that range, I don't think it will help the launch.

Quote:
4. Other than that, I can try switching to a different turbo or tricks to get this one to spool faster.
This 100% is what you need to be concerned with. The turbo should be spooled when you leave the line. It sounds like you are leaving the line, experiencing turbo lag, then the boost hits.

Wondering, depending how you stage if the turbo just doesn't have enough time to spool before launching. I've seen people sit at the line riding the converter for 10+ seconds to build boost for the launch. If your there on a test and tune night, you might want to give it an extra second or 2 to see if you can get that turbo spooled.

Some things that help with lag:
Make sure your waste gate it 100% closed when spooling.
Exhaust is a huge deal. You may benefit from some cutouts as early as possible so the exhaust doesn't have to go through the mufflers.
You can retard the timing while staging to help build boost.
Heat helps your turbo spool. Wrap or coat the exhaust manifolds.
1987 Dodge Daytona Shelby Z
rpmerf is offline   Reply With Quote