View Single Post
Old 10-04-2015, 04:54 PM   #1
uber cool

59 Apache SWB Fleetside in UK

Bought this is May 2014. Back story as follows :- I wanted a SWB fleetside 58 Apache, but didnt wont the hassle of buying in the US and then shipping to UK. Most trucks in the UK appear to be step side trucks, but I prefer the lines of the rear bed and rear tail lights of the fleetside. So when I saw one for sale as a fresh import about 250 miles away in the UK that I could afford and it was a fleetside, this was good enough for me. Bought over the phone with a brief description and just the photos below. The guy i got it off imports american cars and trucks and offered to deliver. When it arrived at my house with a quick look round proves it's miles better than I expected, biggest bonus is that the engine has been recently rebuilt. Glove box full of previous owner info, which is always nice. Appears the previous owner had to 12 years and used it to commute to and from the college where he worked. Hence explains why the engine and running gear in good condition. So not the barn find with everything rusted up! It had new plugs, leads, dizzy cap, points condenser etc. fresh coolant, transmission and engine oil.

Pictures below as bought.

Like most of us these rash decisions to buy don't come at a good time. That is I had been preparing my S10 to go to Classic Le Mans in france first week in July. So only 5 weeks away. Decided late 1 night with the good help of my mate it was possible we could go in the truck if we knuckle down.

First obstacle was water pump had a slight weep. Contacted the usually suspects for US parts, nobody had one. Posted a wanted ad on a UK hot rod forum and someone suggested Rex Ward dealing with WW2 GMC trucks and DUKW's which have the same engine. What a great chap and help that was, I stripped the pump Tuesday night and he returned it Friday am, overhauled for £105 inc shipping. I've since bought a few more spares off him.

Next was the brakes, stripped each hub off to find fairly recent brake shoes and cylinders, all adjusters worked as they should none seized. Replaced the front flexes and bled the brakes.

Carb stripped and rebuilt, rear oil seal leaking, was going to chance it but quite a bad leak. Again Rex Ward was my hero, the rear seal is a 2 part rope seal, followed some you tube clips and how to fit and no leaks:tup:

With it looking more promising we could make the Le mans trip I found time to do something about the paint. My long term goal is for a full repaint but thought we could do something with the green and see how much remained under the primer.

Also do cluttered the interior of radio and CB and random wiring and switches with the help of my young assistant. Stripped the dash down and painted the instrument surround matt black.

uber cool is offline   Reply With Quote