View Single Post
Old 11-19-2017, 01:06 AM   #22
jocko

Re: timeless look and won't go out of style

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63burban View Post
Flat black and patina will die and then guys will be stuck with expensive chassis on bags that nobody wants.
This is an interesting point. I'd submit that even today people are hesitant to buy a slammed chassis truck for the simple, and understandable reason that they may not know the builder and the whether or not the work was quality (primarily talking C-notch level of slamming, etc). I'm no rocket scientist on slammed and bagged chassis, some folks are - and for them, they will find deals if they are wanting to do that to their next truck - but the average buyer won't know what he's looking at/what to look for, and, more importantly, how to undo it or if it's even undoable - if a resto is what the buyer wants to do. So, hot-rodded truck of the 60's-80's are just kinda lipstick with stock underpinnings for the most part that could still be returned to bone stock once the lipstick was removed, repainted, tweed removed, etc. But I think a C-notch truck will have to remain a C-notch truck forever, in MOST cases, not all.

Now don't get me wrong, I like the look, and I wouldn't mind lowering one myself - but I'd be willing to bet I'm not alone in the mindset that I'd STILL be looking for a stock truck that "I" could lower, not one that someone else has already slammed - so I could be sure it was "done right" - ha, as if I could do it better than the seller... But, that's how I am. I STRUGGLED with whether or not to drop my 66 swb, and never did, because I felt like it was just too original. And I liked it that way anyway. But back to 63burb's point - eventually, the pool of trucks easily returnable to stock condition will dry up and that will be a sad day, for me anyway.

There, I managed to shorten burb's 1 sentence to 3 paragraphs... Sorry. I thought it was an interesting point. It's part of what drives us all to play horde and seek with the originals, always keeping our eyes peeled for that original gem... we tend to always think we're finding what may be the last one! Ok, maybe that's just me
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote