View Single Post
Old 02-18-2019, 02:14 AM   #122
NeoJuice

Re: What's going wrong inside my 350?

OK a little update on the truck after it was finally warm enough to work out in the garage from this damm polar vortex the past couple weeks.

Picked up the needed accessories for the truck a couple weeks ago. New gaskets, filter, timing chain and ready to start the tear down. (not all items pictured)

Got the valve covers off, plugs removed, fluids drained, rad removed and started on removal of the balancer today. I turned the engine over to TDC on #1 then started with the removal of the balancer with my big three jaw puller. I put a socket in the crank hole b/c I didn't want the shaft to wreck the threads of the crank and started wrenching on it.

I dont know what I was thinking(as you can see in the picture) but initially I thought that the balancer was all one piece so I put the jaws on the outside of the balancer. This apparently was a big mistake because once I started to turn the threaded rod, the outer damper ring (1" plus thickiness) started to come off the middle star of the balancer. I stopped once I started to see what was going on. So I flipped around the puller arms and wedged them into the star of the balancer and it came right off with ease as I should have done in the first place.

Now I have a dampener with the outer ring slightly moved off the middle star. So I put it in my vice and squeezed it back into place. Now I know this is not the right solution but I think that I will need a new balancer and the rubber gasket in between the two pieces is now kind of f*cked up from squeezing it in my vice and from it being separated. Maybe my feet were to cold standing on the cold garage floor for to long but I kind of feel like an idiot. It's been so cold here and I finally get a break in this damn cold weather and I make a stupid mistake. I hope to get the timing chain cover off tomorrow and the pan dropped and get these timing gears out.

Maybe some other members can chime in on if I should replace the balancer or just re-install it. Squeezing the balancer back together seems to have fixed things but ultimately I dont think this is the proper fix to the problem.

Thank you everyone for your input and time.
Attached Images

NeoJuice is offline   Reply With Quote