Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #290
robnolimit

Re: Make it handle

Merry Christmas folks, If your searching the after christmas sales for some new rolling stock, keep this in mind. Widening the track width will increase the trucks natural roll resistance (body roll in a corner). Even a 1/2" makes a difference. The front wheels on our Silver Bullit are 18 x 9 Intro's with a 5" backspace, and we run a 275/35-18 BFG KDW tire. Last week I bolted in some 1" wheel spacers (not very safe, I know) and did some light track testing. Speeds into and through some test corners on our local track showed a bit of an increase. I dropped the front 1 " to check clearance, and had a slight rubbing on a banked right hand corner, so this may be a bit too wide. With everything checked out, I will be pulling the wheels off next week, and have the centers cut out and re-welded at 4 1/4" backspace. It doesn't sound like much, but 3/4" per side gives 1 1/2" overall, a 2.3% increase. Every little bit, you know? So, if you searching for wheels, try to keep your stance as wide as you can, and still clear everything.
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote