Thread: Header advice
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2002, 10:47 PM   #4
DaHateTank

Quote:
Originally posted by diehardrider
what about headers for a 4wd with a big block.
What would you guys do to find one that fits?
I used the Hedman engine swap headers, when I put the 396 in my Blazer. Had to put a SMALL notch in the right framerail, to clear the tube. The frame bulges out there, anyway. If the framerail was straight (ie. like a piece of channel iron) it woulda fit OK. The notch is REALLY mild, if ya didn't know it was there, you wouldn't see it (unlike the notches shown in the caddy engine threads )

My engine is moved forward an inch, to gain firewall clearance. (I don't like the hammer tactics.) If it was in the stock position, they mighta been OK w/o the notch, or maybe required a small ding.

On the other side, I had to put a ding in one tube, to clear the motor mount. I used the stock 350 mounts, big block spool mounts might have cleared.

Despite all these things, it took a whole 30 minutes, to change the headers, when they rusted out (about 7 years). all in all, Ive had alot worse times, with car headers, that were used in 100% the application they were listed for...

They were pretty cheap, and I actually was pleasantly suprised, by the fit...

Recently, I looked at a '80s Suburban, that had a 454 swapped in, He used Hooker Super Comps, and they looked to fit pretty good, as well... Im pretty sure his engine is in teh stock location, with factory parts (He has a couple big block parts trucks)

HTH

-M
DaHateTank is offline   Reply With Quote