View Single Post
Old 09-04-2018, 09:01 PM   #151
joedoh

Re: Wamego: 1949 GMC 150

I forgot to cut the angle pieces on the bed sides so most of the morning was pulling the s10 floor back OUT, then putting it back IN. after that I got it adjusted with jacks till it was level on the frame. the running board apron is just clamped on there to line it all up.

IMG_1013 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I measure 6 ways of sunday but what really helps is some distance. walk away and look, you would be surprised to know you can spot a misalignment of even 1/8" side to side.

IMG_1016 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

I adjusted till it all looked right and tacked it in. I closed the gap on the bed a little and put the rear wheels just a 1/2" back, I like it better than a big gap at the cab like I had on the last 49. I doubt anyone will notice (although I just got done telling you that you can spot even 1/8"!).

IMG_1014 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1019 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

the running board/apron isnt jack up in position,I was showing my wife that it was part of the truck now, bolted down and at least tacked.

IMG_1017 by Joe Doh, on Flickr
IMG_1018 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

the running board is at 8 inches and the front fender is at 5, so I am thinking I need a 2" block, but I will wait till the bed is complete and has wood/tailgate etc. the springs should settle a little too.

IMG_1021 by Joe Doh, on Flickr

someone asked on the last one why I wasnt fully welding the bed floor to the bed sides, I do use long ~2" tacks about every 4 or 5 inches but I dont like burning the paint off the outside of the bed, its very visible. I do use a seam sealer that can grip a little but if you think of the forces on the bed, bending the bed sides outward is very hard to do, most of the force from a bed load is going to be straight down. the original wood was bolted to the angle on the bed side and that was IT, the straight down load was handled by the crossbars and the wood planks, which were bolted down at the rear but I weld in a piece to the floor and the bed to join them.

tomorrow is the rad mount and various mounts for things under the hood like the fuse/distribution box. should go fast as long as I have enough 18ga sheet. the die on my nibbler broke! so I have to cut it all by hand.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote