Thread: Make it handle
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2011, 10:28 PM   #302
robnolimit

Re: Make it handle

OK, I'm going to vent. Geometry class was offered for FREE at almost EVERY high scholl in the country. Why is it that NOBODY went to class?
Get out a piece of paper and draw a triangle. It's OK, I'll wait. . . . . .. . . .. . . good. Now we know that a tiangle has THREE sides, and ALL sides connect. So, take your pencil and make ONE side of your triangle LONGER. . . . . . . . . To get the other side to connect, you have TWO options. 1. Change the length and angle of the connecting side. - or 2. Change ALL THREE angles of the triangle. OK, my breathing is getting better. So, why is this a big deal? A-Arms ARE TRIANGLES!!!!!! I spent four hours today aligning an IFS for this poor guy. He has a great looking, and untill today, terrible driving 57 chev p/u. Whats the problem? It has a "really cool" IFS on it. and the upper A-Arm (triangle) has F$%C!N ROD ENDS in it for the alignment adjustment. So, You unscrew them to get the camber out to spec, and the center distance gets longer. I guess the manufacturer just wants you to tighten the bolts and bend the A-Arm, OK. But, as I get close to the manufacturers spec alignment (-1/2* camber, +2* caster) the rod ends are maxed out and binding as I tighten the bolts. Again, I cuss like a sailer. People buy this crap? - Oh yeah, geometry class. So, to get it in spec, (actually went to +4* caster, like a real car built after the invention of radial tires) I had to heat and bent the A-Arms to get them properly aligned, without binding. They used to be powder coated a nice silver color, but, no more. Now, the customer is thrilled, its been two years before he found someone who could properly align his truck. And, at the moment he doesn't care about the burned powder coat. Please be aware of this DESIGN FLAW. It is common to a few IFS kits. To be fair to all, I will not name names. Some of you DID go to class, and now that I have pointed this out, I'm sure it makes sense to you. If any of the manufacturers of these types of IFS kits need a private lesson, please contact me at the shop, or, make an appointment to come buy, and I'll give you private instruction on our shop chalkboard. I am doing my best to keep this professional, please do the same. I just want to help educate the members. People throw down a lot of money to play with these trucks, it's up to us to keep the quality and safety up to par. Ahh, my blood pressure is dropping. One more Fat Tire should do the trick.

Last edited by robnolimit; 01-08-2011 at 10:30 PM.
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote