View Single Post
Old 01-10-2017, 01:03 AM   #2
Steven R

Re: Rust repair Better then I thought...

Part 2 of my door repair
As I noted I was not happy with the lack of or missing detail of the replacement stampings. So here I am repairing the lower bottom corner of the inside of the door skin.

I really wanted this repair to match factory as much as possible. So frist task was get a suitable pcs of metal and start forming and hammering to get desired shape.

First attempt was a fail. I carved out a pocket to match the embossing in a pcs of hard plywood and then clamped my metal over the caved pocket and started to hammer the metal is match the pocket. This failed for two reasons, one not having a perfect pocket and hammer to match what I was attempting, and two I was not taking the time to do it right.

Second attempt work just right. I cut out a triangle out of 1/4 inch steel to match the embossing as a positive, then cut out a negative to match so one would fit into the other. Then I grind the edges of the top of the inner and the outside of the outer to a radise. found a suitable piece of sheet metal and took it over to the press and pressed the three pcs between two heavy plates. this made a near perfect replica of the factory embossing.

I them welding in place and groing down the welds and sanded smooth.
Attached Images

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote