View Single Post
Old 12-01-2011, 05:23 PM   #23
vin63
It's Better With Nitro

Re: X Member Design and Frame Bracing- '66 C10

I don't think we took it as a fight, but constructive discussion about different approaches to reinforcing a frame for different applications. It would be nice if the frame rails were a full box instead of C, but short of replacing the entire frame, this was the best way I could strengthen the existing frame. Yes, welding on a heat treated frame is not a good idea, and often the failures in the tubular race car chassises often occur at areas of excessive heat from joint welds, but it is impossible to run a bolt-together tubular chassis for example in drag racing. On the other hand, we now have a rule against heat treating chassises, which combined with front halving and welding on the heat treated chassis a couple of times, contributed to John Force's accident several years ago.

By double frame rail, this is what I was referring to in chassis building. This is my funny car/altered chassis that I built. It is a similar configuration used in high horsepower Pro Mod cars and all funny cars and dragsters.

Tubular front and rear suspension
Custom 6-piston front disc and 4-piston rear disc brakes
vin63 is offline   Reply With Quote