View Single Post
Old 01-12-2016, 10:41 PM   #57
K20rookie

Re: 1970 K20 Restoration

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Dorado Jim View Post
Congrats on your new son! In post # 50, I said you would be better off getting rid of your Eaton rear end, they are very expensive to work on, brake parts, etc. , like cmabolt said, look around for a dana 60 from a '71-'72 or a corporate 14 bolt from a '71-'72,it will bolt right in and shocks will fit,,,,,front ends are all the same,'71-'76 dana 44 will bolt right in, after '76 they used a 10-bolt corporate front end, they will bolt right in also, just not as good as a dana 44 in my opinion....I am not totally sure if they made a 14 bolt in '71-'72, I used one out of a '74 and had to move the spring perches and shock mounts,this does require welding, which fortunately I can do.....It is definitely worth changing your axles in my opinion,disc brakes are the only way to go, and you don't have to have disc brakes in the rear, dana 60 and corporate 14 bolt axles have drum brakes, they work fine,,,,,
Thanks for the clarification Jim. I think I'll try to get my hands on a dana 60 for the rear and dana 44 with disc brakes up front. Trying to keep it as simple as possible since I don't know how to weld. This gives me a good starting point, thanks again.
K20rookie is offline   Reply With Quote