View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 04:29 PM   #28
RUSHNBOBO
Account Suspended

Re: Cooling system issue....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwotr View Post
How would this relate to MY Engine?
when I was up in Northen California at 3000' Elevation, (where I lived), that sucker never seemed to go above 180.
Now if I went down to the Lake on a hot day (1000' Elevatiuon),
it "might" go to 195, but never OVER that.

So now I'm at 500' elevation and it is WAY Hotter,
(than Northern California), so I knew I'd be running Hotter down here.
But this whole post may be a Bllessing in Disguise",
because obviously I needed a Shroud, (never had one),
and the Flex Fan was inadiquate.
So I know adding the Shroud, Clutch Fan and Thermostat,
cant be a bad thing.
Since I don't know what temp Thrermostat is in my engine,
(and I'm already getting a Shroud and new Fan),
I thought I'd replace the Thermostat and Coolant.
This gives me a Base Line, and now that it's MY Truck,
I'll know what Temp Thermostat is in it, along with the piece of mind that I have a Shroud, Clutch Fan and new Coolant.

I would have to assume that you have a 180 thermostat since it stayed at that temp before,(make sure this is right one for your engine) . Now that your in a hotter environment something may be inadequate..is 195 bad? not really ...but if you have a 180 degree thermostat you can keep the temps there.

Your on the right track w/ the fan and shroud setup, at low speed or stopped these are the number one things to check because you probably have airflow issues. Chuck the flex fan...I've never been a big "FAN" of flex fans. I've seen tests between factory type thermo clutch setups vs. flex fans and the factory setup beats it in horsepower used and cooling. They are hard to beat unless you want to drop hundreds into a high end electric setup. The cheap electric one's just won't pull air like the aggresive pitch thermo factory setup.

--Also ... absolutely chuck the rad cap and thermostat then flush and fill. Do these whether you know it needs it or not ....cheap and easy stuff !!!
--Make sure your timing is not excessively retarded...this will cause overheating too. Try to run as much timing advance as you can without excessive starter load and or pinging. This will make more horsepower, quicker throttle response, fuel mileage and run cooler....nuthin but good.
RUSHNBOBO is offline   Reply With Quote