View Single Post
Old 04-07-2017, 09:34 PM   #4
pwdcougar

Re: Rubbing sound when turning at low speed

Thanks guys for the tips I'll try walking next to it while someone drives it slow in a parking lot with the hood up.

The suspension is basically stock for the Cougar which is the same for the Mustangs of the same vintage. The only exception is poly bushings and stiffer springs and a wrist thick sway bar. The tires are much wider than stock. 235 or 225 50's on 15" rims. The rims have non stock backspacing and push the wheels out further.

When up on jack stands under the lower control arms there are no rubbing issues that I could see or feel. I ran my hand around the entire inside of the tire with no clearance issues. A friend said that he thinks the noise is more of a groaning noise. My hearing is shot and I wear hearing aids. They change the sound and even the location of the sound. Would rear wheel bearings make more noise on a corner? I've never changed them out.

Thanks again

Paul
1970 4WD Chevrolet Suburban
1997 4WD Chevrolet Silverado Extended Cab Short Bed (purchased new January 1997)
pwdcougar is offline   Reply With Quote