View Single Post
Old 05-03-2012, 10:31 PM   #4
54belair

Re: My grandsons 68 stepper

Well, here it is almost 6 months later and I have finally gotten around to starting !!
I have the front clip off and the bed off and apart And mostly stripped. I found some small dents in the lower rear fenders, they had put about 1/2 inch of putty in the dent instead of pulling them, so I ground out the filler, work with hammer and dolly for awhile, now its ready to put just a thin coat of putty and get ready to primer.

Im coating all sheetmetal (both sides) with the silver mastercoat primer/encapsulator, then later Ill come back and epoxy primer etc.
After the bed, Im on to the front sheetmetal---I didnt like the way the cowl hood fit so Ive bought a regualr hood (will make the final decision later)

So far the truck is still runable, gonna load it on the trailer and take it to have the rockers and foot wells welded in. My friend have his own resto business and will trade the body welding for some extra parts I have.

I have dropped the idea of the 4.3 v6------quicker and easier to stay with a v8

I have been very surprised so far, the only unknown surprises Ive found are the rusted footwell corners and a bent rear crossmember. I have a new crossmember to put in soon----and then it will be ready for the camaro tank fab.

I have some additional pics showing my "mess" as my wife calls it!!

During the 6 months delay I at least had time to make plans and make decisions on ways to proceed. Still looking at another 16 months work.
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote