View Single Post
Old 10-08-2017, 10:22 PM   #633
68c10airstream

Re: D52 Caliper Rear Disc Brake Brackets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaxmoe View Post
If this doesn’t get much I will ask in the general area, but got to cleaning up and test fitting my calipers and pads last night, and the A1 eldorado calipers have a solid piston. So my question is, is anyone using the anti rattle clips with the rear parking brake caliper, and if so how did you orientate the clips to work? The clip hits the piston seal with the solid pistons on my calipers as the long end has nowhere to go. Also, does anyone know how the park brake mechanisms works? Is it mechanical to push the piston out or hydraulic with volume displacement? Dry, I have no piston movement while rotating the park brake lever so that’s why I ask.

Attachment 1697065
Attachment 1697066
The lever is pushing out the back side of the piston by means of a one way roller clutch. This will drift out as needed with wear. If doing a brake job and needing to make room for the thicker pads/rotors you turn the piston clockwise (as you look at the face of the piston) using a special tool or improvise as needed. This clockwise movement releases the clutch and allows it to move inward. If your piston does not move out i would suggest to install it anyway (you have a warranty). Some levers can be installed /clocked into many positions and on some you turn the lever in the direction as the cable would move it, remove the lever and reindex it to be able to grab some more and turn some more. My last eldo brake job was probably 35 years ago so i will leave the final sayso to someone that has done it recently.

When done if the lever does nothing after you have driven the truck and the hydraulic brakes work good i then would suspect broken roller clutch assemblies.

I've worked on subarus since the 70's and their pistons rolled clockwise inward, and then you would step on the brake pedal and this would push the piston out and eventually give a nice pedal feel, and then the emergency brake lever did it's job. First time i did a brake job i needed help and scratched my head many times trying to figure it out. I resorted to taking a caliper apart and then it all made sense. By the way, these subaru calipers were on the FRONT.
68c10airstream is offline   Reply With Quote