View Single Post
Old 07-03-2016, 09:03 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: 235 Open pipes? Glass packs?

From experience of driving my 48, a 64 and my 71 with pipes that exit in front of the wheel they get real tiresome driving on the road for any real length of time. Fun to hear them bark on short runs but the drone will bug the daylights out of you along with giving you a headache on road trips.

The 48 still has a glasspack of sorts with a pipe exiting in front of the left rear wheel and the other two had loud glass packs with pipes (the same muffler and pipes on both trucks as I caught the engine on fire in the 64 and had too much fire damage to make it worth fixing and pulled the pipes off it and put them on my 71 after I put an engine in it.
I drove the 48 as much as 45 miles one way to work and drove the 71 23 miles one way to work for several years with those pipes, sounded great against the Johnson barriers though. After 20 = years of that I want pipes clear out the back and reasonable but sweet sounding mufflers.

I guess you could start out running straight pipes out the sides and could easily cut the pipe and put a muffler in if it is too loud to live with an if you put the bend far enough back you will just have to cut it off in front of the bend and run tail pipes out the back and not loose that much of the pipe in the process. That way you can find your happy with it level.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote