View Single Post
Old 02-21-2017, 08:50 PM   #10
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: PowerMaster Alternator Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmachinz View Post
The OEM charging system routing is pathetic at best. Reproduction engine harnesses aren't much better since they mimic the GM design too. You should really upgrade the entire charging system to at least 1990's standard....internally regulated CS series and a single common 12V junction for all accessories...and running a heavier gauge supply lead for the interior would help a lot as well.
Well said G and I totally agree with you unless the truck is to be restored to totally stock condition. even for a totally stock truck an internally regulated alternator would be a huge improvement.

There's a limit on what can be done with the original alternator as far as upgrades. If you add more field windings for more amps you are reducing air flow for cooling so the alternator will run hotter and fail sooner.

If someone told me that the external regulators were good forever I'd question their sanity.

we have 100s of threads on the forum about the conversions and how to do them. Just type "alternator conversion in the rectangular box by your PM messages and tick the circle by 67 to 72 chevy trucks and then click google.
Then read away.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote