View Single Post
Old 05-18-2017, 08:15 PM   #6
Green77bus

Re: Making progress on the Bed, have a few questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrbrkpadguy View Post
Hey Green77, your bed looks great. I did 4 coats of Minwax Helmsman Polyurethane, sanded with 600 grit looks like a sheet of glass. I used the Helmsman because it is a marine grade polyurethane. Don't forget to do the underside and the edges for full protection from the elements
I got the Same polyurethane in the satin finish. We are not looking for a glass finish because our truck is far from perfect. But want to have the bed look good. I was going to sand between coats and I guess reading your post that is the right idea. I am coating the underside and the ends first and then I will be coating the top and sides once the bottom is done. We love the color of the wood because our truck is a hot rod black and will need more work next winter and we will be able to have the bed done at that point for the most part. Thanks for the information that will be really helpful since I was not sure on how many coats it would take. This truck is garaged all the time except for when it is on the road so I hope that this bed will last us a while.

Erin
Green77bus is offline   Reply With Quote