View Single Post
Old 07-12-2009, 11:08 PM   #2
jsmithbm

Re: First Timers Build/Super Stock 70 Step

I didnt get much done the first weekend i had it due to it being the 4th weekend and i had my son.
Since it cut off on us i wanted to pin point the problem. I checked the inline fuel filter, amazingly dirty. Changed, drove it around my parents neighborhood. Oh the Exhaust, Yeah its not there! Ex. manifold down below the cab then nothing. Its loud. So i drove it around the block a few times. Checked the filter again. Dirty, Changed, added 20 gals of new gas. Dad and i thought it would be a good time to drive it to my house, early Sunday monring sure no one will be on the highway. We leave out around 8 or so. We get onto the highway. I'm leading in my car, Dad is driving the tank and mom is bringing up the rear. We got just past the county line and it cuts off. GREAT. We sit in the emergency lane for a few rethink our game plan. We think it would be best to go home. They are doing a ton of work on the interstate near my exit and there are not emergency lanes and barriers on both sides so you would not be able to pull off to the side. We get back home. I'm not to happy but hey, its all in the fun of owning an old truck right. Dad goes inside to watch Little House on the Praire. LOL.
I go out and look at the fuel filter AGAIN. Sure thing its dirty dirty. I go to the store and get another 3.98 filter. I think it would be safe to say that there is surely some trash in the line. My thoughts..... Pull the tank out. Oh yeah the tank it full of gas. I found numerous containers for the old gas. How did i remove it...... The old fashion way, SIPHON, it worked. Drew out all the gas, removed mounting bolts. GEEZ sounds like sand is in the tank. I washed the tank out for about an hour. I loaded it up Dads truck. He took it to a person that clean and seals them. Charge 80 bucks. While taking out the sending unit i noticed that the sending line was loose. Hmmm where can i find one in stock. NO WHERE. Had the line brazed its fixed no problems. Not much else i can do. I have to go back home. Its getting late.
Photo from today, tanks in with new rubber gasket too. Missing one bolt and washer, order it today.

Here is a photo on the cab. While i was back at work dad took it upon himself to do a little tinkering with the truck. Thanks DAD, He removed the carpet and several other things in which he elected not to tell me about.

I got there today and went into the work shop to get putty knife. I was going to clean the frame rails before i put the power steering pump oh. Here is what i ran into....

Its hard to see but if you look above my sons head you can see the Massive tear in the seat.