View Single Post
Old 02-24-2006, 09:17 AM   #20
Ziptar
Diesel Addict

Re: The (first?) Chevy Diesel was a Dud?!?

BoJoe is right....

Forget what anyone else thinks, do what you want.. After all, It's your truck.

I have had people tell me I was nuts wanting to put a Olds Diesel in a daily driver... I don't care, I wanted to give one a whirl.

One of these days I'll put a 4BT in a Chevy, I figure with the right rear end and a 700R4 in a 2WD 1/2 Ton a 4BT could possibly push 40 MPG... Best part is if you get one out of a Chevy P-30 Van they are a direct drop in and bolt up to a 2WD truck, they have Standard Chevy transmission setups on them for Auto and Stick.

I bought the Olds because I got the whole truck for 1/10th the going rate of a 4BT engine. I reaserched the Olds diesel a bunch over the last year and a half and felt comfortable taking the leap. looks like the prices for 4BT's might come down thought, frito-lay has hired out a company to auction off their old trucks on the web. It's called dovebid the current sale has a couple hundred 4BT trucks in it, and they've been selling for as cheap as $800, I haven't seen one sell for over $2000 yet. So maybe now that they are flooding the market 4BT's will come down in price. I would love to grab one but, have neother the $$$ or the space to bring a big old Step van home right now.

If you REALLY don't like Diesels but want better MPG Then Destructo's got the best Idea, a Vortec V8 will get you the best MPG especially if hooked to an O/D transmission. It'll be more work to install with all the electronics but, you'll get the best mileage.

Bottom line is it's your truck do what you want, Hell put a 4cyl Iron Duke in it if that floats your boat.

Last edited by Ziptar; 02-24-2006 at 09:19 AM.
Ziptar is offline   Reply With Quote