View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 10:26 PM   #23
INSIDIOUS '86

Re: Tired of TBI issues, what size carb???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlocksRule View Post
Tear down an old carb'd engine, then do the same to a TBI or MPFI engine. Difference in cylinder wear will make you a TBI fan, quick. All the older blocks I tear down have a significant ridge at the top of the bore from wear...almost every TBI or MPFI engine I've torn down still has visible hone marks in the bores. A small part of this is due to lighter ring pressure against the cylinder walls, but the majority is the TBI. With a decently tuned TBI, you never get fuel wash down the cylinder walls, you never flood out, your engine is metered fuel as it needs it and it's monitored by the O2 sensor.
And you can get a TBI harness that will let you run a 4L80E tranny for around $300. That in itself would weigh heavily on my decision. I'm converting an '85 1-ton dually to TBI for just these reasons.
No no and no. Lol tbi engines mostly had over drives which reduced wear massively and the engines started sooner and warmed up quicker further reducing wear. Fuel wash is a very small part

As for cold starts in carbs. Why is it that my holley with no choke horn and engine with lopey cam can start right up in 20*f weather in Washington and I haven't touched my carb since I first tuned it three years ago when I first installed the engine in July! Because i put some effort into understanding how a holley works and tuned it accordingly. So only expect as much gain from your carbs guys as you put into them. A tuned carb still kicks a computer in power all day
Posted via Mobile Device
377 sbc thumpr cam autogear m23 muncie 3:73 Detroit trutrac
3''spintech prostreet mufflers xpipe 1 3/4 headers
build thread !http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=577217
Iroc gauge threadhttp://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=554511
INSIDIOUS '86 is offline   Reply With Quote