View Single Post
Old 04-25-2011, 08:32 AM   #18
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: BROWN WHITE Striped wire from the Ignition switch Burnt what can cause this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteVet View Post
The brown/white wire you describe runs from the key switch to the firewall block on the diagrams I have. It is joined there by a solid brown wire that runs back to the cluster plug to pin 8 on the idiot light dash. It is used to feed the alternator field exciting circuit through the regulator.The ammeter dash does not have this wire. On the other side of the firewall block (engine side) it goes to solid brown and goes to the terminal 4 on the external regulator and if the alternator has been converted to internal regulator it runs to terminal 1 on the alternator.

This diagram shows the b/w wire from the key switch.

Attachment 736112

This one shows it continues to the firewall block, joining with the other brown wire to the cluster plug.

Attachment 736114

Here is the alternate view of the brown wire going from the key switch to the external voltage regulator.
Attachment 736111

Here is the conversion diagram. It shows the diagram with the idiot light and the Accessory wire feed to the fuse panel is left out but it still is in the circuit.

Attachment 736110

Now if some one has converter the alternator and ran a separate wire maybe they just cut the stock wire off and left it hanging and it may be touching a ground. This wire is hot from the key and is not fused except by the fusible link near the battery. It is small enough to burn before the FL in any case and the burn would start nearest the hot source and continue to the ground.

If you were using this wire to feed the high amp fans without a relay then the amperage draw would be enough to burn the insulation off the wire. You are right to trace the wire from the key switch to wherever it goes. If you replaced it where did you run it to?
This was from my first reply. Not knowing what system you have I tried to cover both and was not very effective. Also I was unsure of how much wiring you were missing. The good thing is that as we go along in these threads,we get to the answers in most cases. When I reply I try to speak to the other readers as well as to the original poster.
Sometimes we get caught up in technospeak and lose the main purpose of the forum which is to help the guy with with the problem.

Anyhow I think you are making a wise decision.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote