View Single Post
Old 09-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: toolboxes or other storage containers in your trucks

For about 10 years I ran a Gaylord hard cover, allowing use of a variety of different tool boxes depending on what I was doing. In the early days my commute was almost 200 miles a week, so I carried enough tools to rebuild an engine. I strapped these to the forward end of the bed. When the commute dropped to about 12 miles a week, I reduced the load to a simple rubber box about the size of a shoe box with a hinged lid and handle. It carried enough essentials to get me out of trouble. Now that the truck and I are both retired, it doesn't travel far from home so the bed is completely empty. I only carry a can of inflata-spare in the glovebox and a AAA card just in case.

Another note - I did once have a 1983 Chevy fleetside longbed as our daily car, and installed one of those poly/rubber tool boxes that go across the front of the bed rails. What a waste of money. Within a year it sagged so bad I couldn't get either lid open without adding steel reinforcement along the bottom. If you have interest in that style of box, make sure to buy a steel or aluminum model.

Last edited by markeb01; 09-15-2010 at 01:27 PM.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote