View Single Post
Old 02-28-2012, 10:07 PM   #1
JointTech

N00b with a 72 c20

Hi everyone. New here. I grew up on SBC's but its been 10 years since I picked up a socket wrench. I've got city-boy hands and thought it was time to get to wrenching. I picked up this 72 Cheyenne C20 Custom Camper. The 400 had been pulled years ago and replaced with my old friends 350/350.
It has a pretty straight body and no real rust (socal). I think the tailgate is the only thing that will need replacing. 8 Bolt rims. 14 bolt ? rearend.
Picked it up for 2k.
My current problem is none of the lights from the cab back work. But i think its a bunch of frayed wires shorting. Ill run that down tomorrow.
I also noticed the !@#$%$ gas tank is right behind the seat. Thats about the dumbest thing I could think of but after doing some searching I guess its common. lol. note to self, dont smoke in the car.
Seems like it has dual tanks but the second isnt hooked up and it looks like the incar tank selector isnt connected to either tank.
It has a funny wobble in the rear end from 0-2mph. Probably the rear end taking a dive but Ill check the u-joints anyway.
My plan for the truck is to put maybe a 2" lift on it, really mild. 33-35" tires. Cleanup the interior. beat out the rear end and rattlecan it black. !!
Then long term im thinking either start building a 383stroker in the shop mated to a 700r4 or maybe going for the ls1 swap. 350/350 is great but I like an overdrive, it was howling on the freeway.
This thing will be for me to play with in the shop and go the 3 mile to home depot when the wife wants new baseboards or a dishwasher.
I have no plans on restoring it to original but do plan on long term getting it up to daily driver capable. body mounts, rubber, AC (PO removed the compressor), nice paint etc.
My idea is to go matte black with no chrome trim or emblems. (if anybody wants the emblems let me know). slight lift with short rubber on tall rims. If anybody has a picture of 33-35inch tires on 18-20 inch rims under a 67-72 let me know. not a skyjacker though.

so im sure ill have some question for you guys while i get my mojo back.
heres some picks of the beast as i got it. (bumper is in the bed of the truck)

hopefully my problem with the rear lights is here:
JointTech is offline   Reply With Quote