View Single Post
Old 09-21-2013, 08:32 PM   #13
ray_mcavoy

Re: upper trim attachment options

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
ray, both my trucks had the original trim on them and had the clip at the rear (push-in type) and the stud (nut on back) on the forward attach point. I tried to use the push-in type, but, the factory hole is so close to the edge that there is no room for the push-in (with hold-in bendable clip to snug it-type) that close to the end.
It's been a long time since I took my 72 apart (and still haven't gotten around to doing bodywork/reassembly yet) so I must have been thinking about the rear clip only and mistakenly assumed the front was the same.

You might be able to use a "barrel clip" in place of the nut. The "ears" on them are smaller than on the snap-in type clips so they should fit okay even up close to the edge. The only problem might be the hole diameter ... I think it might be a bit too large in relation to the stud diameter for a barrel clip to have the snug fit it needs to hold.

Another option would be to use another plastic stick-on clip at the front. Or even 2 or 3 plastic clips right next to each other to give some added surface area so you can use a longer section of 3M tape for added strength just to be on the safe side.
ray_mcavoy is offline   Reply With Quote