View Single Post
Old 03-08-2017, 01:31 AM   #4
71CHEVYSHORTBED402

Re: 12 AWG red in cab - What are these?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_mcavoy View Post
Yes, those are fusible links. Well, technically those clear and black round things are just the insulation the factory used where they joined the fusible link to the wire it protects. The fusible link itself is the short section of smaller gauge wire (with special insulation).

Unless your wiring has been subject to a short circuit or has other damage there generally isn't a need to replace the fusible links. But in the event that one does need to be replaced, yes, you just cut them off and crimp/solder a new one in place. Be sure to use the same gauge fusible link as the original and try to keep the length about the same (no more than 9" long).

As for the differences in your wiring vs. the diagram, I have noticed that GM made a few subtle changes to the wiring over the 67-72 year range. So even though that diagram you found is labeled 67-72, some of the details may only be correct for the earlier years. For example, the early years had that fusible link located between the battery + and the junction block. Later, the fusible link was moved to the end of the red wire attached to the junction block and a regular wire goes from the junction to the battery + terminal (like the setup you have).
Great info. thank you. Let me ask, what's the difference between a fusible link and an in-line fuse? One reason I ask is I have two other whatUcallits described below. These units are rubber boot insulated and pull apart. In fact, I pulled one apart and it sounded like I may have broken the gizmo inside. No harm done, I'm getting new wires. If needed I'll add pictures.

One rubber boot dude for the black wire from the firewall block to the junction block. The unit is near the junction block.

One rubber boot dude for the black & white striped wire from the firewall block. The end of this wire is soldered where the cluster of red wires are soldered as described in post one. The unit is near where it's soldered.
71 Custom Deluxe, SWB, 2WD, 402, A/C. I developed an assm. guide "kit" for restoring it from ground up. With assys, the guide accts for 1000s of OEM identifications and part numbers, all written in short order. 700+ images include assm, illust., charts, and points of interest. Much of the info. applies to all 67-72 GM trucks, and to a lessor degree all 67-72 GM vehicles. My build thread, and more on the guide https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=730025
71CHEVYSHORTBED402 is offline   Reply With Quote