View Single Post
Old 10-19-2018, 08:03 PM   #12
AussieinNC

Re: Door Mounting Plate is lost inside pillar!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WB72 View Post
I have come to realize that body work is going to happen, I just want minimal amounts.

I think I am going to build a new 1/4” plate threaded to the template of the larger opening of the cab.

I’ll cut a 3/8” or so slot on the front of the pillar as close to the height of the hinge position.

Tack a rigid wire to the threaded plate.

Fish it into place and thread all 3 bolts into the plate.add a dab of silicone to the plate and tighten the bolts to allow the silicone to dry.

Remove wire.

Repair cut out slot.

Install door hinge.

If adjustment is required I’m sure the silicone will give way and allow movement with persuasion.

I would like to know if there are any issues other than not being able to remove the door hinge ever again without losing that plate once again.
Good strategy, but the silicon breaking away for adjustment would leave the plate vulnerable to drop down if all three bolts were ever removed...why not drill an additional small hole in both the plate and the A pillar and use a small button head bolt to secure the plate. if you made the hole in the A pillar a little larger than the bolt shank, you could then have a small amount of adjustability. Like a button head bolt with a 1/4" shank and a 5/8" head, with a 3/8" hole in the A pillar.

One thing with leaving the nut loose in the A pillar is the possibility of the inevitable rattle rattle noise. Maybe time for a small hole in the inside of the lower A pillar section to retrieve the nut...plug it with a simple push in plug...

Good luck...

2006 Chevy Silverado (Daily Driver)
2012 Chevy Equinox

AussieinNC is offline   Reply With Quote