View Single Post
Old 03-28-2023, 12:05 PM   #3021
Dan in Pasadena

Re: Danny Boy is BAACK! w/ '55 Big Window

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrdone View Post
Im confused. how can you run a '51 plate on a '55 truck and with 2023 tabs??? Wont CHP get after you??
No, they will not. 1951 was the last year for the larger, rounded corner license plates. They were used up until 1955 if you had the metal corner tab indicating the year of the vehicle. When you got new plates each year you tossed the old ones or hung them on a nail in the garage. The reason they are somewhat hard to find now.

Later plates used stickers for the year & month of renewal so millions of new plates didn't have to be made. Prisoner were getting tired I suppose, ha ha. You just put stickers on the old plates via other little metal tabs attached to the bolts holding the plate. Nowadays they make license plate frames that incorporate the stickers.

It's not done by many - I assume because of the cost. DMV-clear, restored early California plates go for a LOT of money. I've already seen them priced at $895 a set. YIKERS, that's crazy. If it weren't for Don helping me I'd have rattle canned these and lived with them.

I've got another couple hundred just in the corner tag, the frames, etc.

PS: Mine aren't commercial plates as they probably should be for a pickup. I don't cary anything in the bed but if I did AND if a cop wants, to they could ticket me. Hopefully the DMV won't give me a problem when I go to switch my later black plate to these early ones.
Attached Images

Dan's '55 Big Window "Build" - Well, Kinda!

Last edited by Dan in Pasadena; 03-28-2023 at 12:12 PM.
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote