View Single Post
Old 05-30-2017, 10:42 PM   #232
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

Thanks Hart_Rod. It's good to see you will finally be able to close all your windows. That should help keep things cleaner inside.
I had a little time today so I knocked out a couple of quick things. First was new vent flapper seals. The old ones were pretty much nonexistent. I went all out and got the $4.00 repops. Pretty simple job. Just open the vent half way then lift the flapper in the duct and the bottom pin will come up enough to allow the flapper to go into the duct and drop downwards so the upper pin will come out of its hole. At this point I removed the clip that holds the control lever and pulled the lever free. The flapper consists of two plates with a foam rubber gasket sandwiched between the two plates. The plates are fastened to each other with 9 rivets. Drill the rivets out and use a putty knife to separate the plates without bending them. I ran the plates through the blaster and painted them prior to reassembly. Then center the gasket on the inner plate. I pushed a straight pick through the plate and the gasket in the hole closest to the center, then lined up the outer plate on the pick. ( I used pop rivets to reassemble the plates.) I clamped the two halves together and removed the pick. Inserting a pop rivet in that hole to make sure nothing slipped, I used the pick to punch a second hole and then installed a pop rivet there. Going back to the first rivet I installed it. Then I punched the gasket and installed the other seven rivets. The only problem I had was that twice when the rivet snapped free the tool jumped and the broken off end of the rivet scratched the new paint. (Once on each side of course) I recommend using something to cover the flapper when doing this. Maybe some cardboard with a 1/2" hole in it for the tool to pass through. That way you won't have to repaint yours like I did.
The second project for the day was to paint and install the emblem on the grille. And looking at the photo it seems I need to wash the WMB.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377

Last edited by HO455; 05-30-2017 at 11:06 PM.
HO455 is online now   Reply With Quote