Thread: 6 lug to 5 lug
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2010, 06:26 PM   #9
1-PU70

Re: 6 lug to 5 lug

I did my 70. Its a coil rear. Its true there were 2 different rears in a 70 one being wider then the other. I was lucky and had a wid one. I dont know any way to tell other then pulling the axels out. I got a set of axels from a 77. They fit perfect. I dident even change seals. For the front it just so happens I used another 77. You can go the the mid 80s but they went to metric in the early in the 80s. Some will say you need the entire front end including the sadel. I used everything except the sadel. Upper and lower controll arms with ball joints, shafts and spindals. All the stering linkage. Cant remember if I used the 77 pitman arme or not. I did this about 15 years ago so its hard to remember. The only other thing is the the proporting valve from a 71 or 72. You could use a 73 and up but they have 2 ports for the front so you would have to plug one. And a master from a 71 and up but I dont think is mandatory. As for front springs you coud use what you have or go up to 87 I think. NAPA has a good web site that will give you the load range of the front springs. I just went with 73 front springs HD for a BB. almost leveld out the truck and rids firm but not harsh. Good luck.
1970 CST/10 402,700R4,3:73 posi,AC,PS,PB,TLT,PW,Buckets with heaters
1-PU70 is offline   Reply With Quote