View Single Post
Old 03-15-2016, 10:54 PM   #24
HO455
Post Whore

Re: Working Man's Burbon

To finish the body mount replacement I found some spacer plates at a big box store. They were in the framing hardware and the concrete departments. Under $5.00 for the pair and they fix almost perfectly. Plus no labor on my part. I also grabbed new bolts for the mounts with the spacers as the ones I had cut to match the OE are now too short. All bolted together well, but I question the 20 ft lbs torque spec. Using a torque wrench I noticed that going to 20 was causing the bottom of the mount to deform ( last photo). I backed it off and then did the rest by sight and feel. I have to wonder if the factory used 20 ft lbs as the spec to prevent the bolts from being twisted off on the assembly line. My old ones did look as if the nut was bottomed out on end of the threads. As I used bolts with a much longer threaded area the mount distorted long before I got to 20 ft lbs. Or the torque wrench I borrowed was way out of whack. I will have to check them after a couple of hundred miles and I will use a different wrench. The mounts look silver from the anti-seize I used on the bolts and metal to metal contact points. Hopefully to slow the rust and to prevent squeaks.
Attached Images

If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote