View Single Post
Old 05-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #179
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Br3w City's Project omgwtfbbq

Well, I'm stuck around the house, but I figured I'd post a couple photos I forgot to put up earlier.

With those 15x12 year wheels, we ran into an issue of internal clearance. The barrel of the wheel narrows a bit more than a stock steel or aftermarket alloy wheel would, bringing the internal clearance to less than 13". Because of this, almost no regular disc conversions will fit, and even the Aerospace Eng. "pro street" disc setup needs nearly 13.6 to clear. While the long term plan will be to still get discs in the rear (I have discussed it with Captain Fab, but it might be more work than its worth)...in the meantime I wanted to see if I could get ANYTHING to work.

Our solution? chuck up the drums on a lathe and see if we can't get them to fit. We needed a drum at about 12.2" to give us sufficient clearance for wheel weights etc. Despite the o.d. of the drums being nearly 13.5, the internal "wear" surface dials out at about 11.8 or so. We machined back the cooling fins, leaving the wear surface, and as much of a reinforcing ring as we could so the structure of the drum would still be sound.

Here you can see the drum set into the wheel (notice the barrel of the wheel narrows about 1/3 of the way in, creating the issue)

And the drum mounted onto the hub setup. The drum sits about even with the backing plate, and gives us about 1/8 +/- of clearance all the way around.

While modifying braking and safety systems isn't recommended for everyone, having rear brakes back on the truck seemed like a "safer" option than continuing with my prop valve cranked forward all the way. Add in the Wilwoods up front and this thing would have been a "spinout" machine.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote