View Single Post
Old 06-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #190
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

Re: Br3w City's Project omgwtfbbq

The start of something for a bit later, cutting some board down for a "lower door card". We are making an upholstered door card/speaker surround, to somewhat compliment the regular door card and clean up the installation area around the speakers. Doesn't look like much but it will make sense a bit later.

Got my cowl back from plastic blasting, and the front bumper from oxide media.

I showed you the worn tranny cooler in an earlier post; the new good-good showed up and it was time to put in work. Its a Derale Performance 8-pass, fan cooled tranny cooler. Should work nicely with my 4l80e for street and staging lane situations.

For 97 and newer 4l80e's, you need a special set of fittings to convert to AN fittings. The lines exit in a different place than the earlier models, and the rear fitting is extended. Without this, it WILL NOT WORK THIS IS ESSENTIAL. These came from sweet performance, they sell them cheaper on their ebay store.

Alright, lets get this done....A little comparo.

Start by getting these old guys out. We removed the clamps and hoses so me could drain them and slide the old cooler out the front (we already unbolted the 3-mounting points).

Then we pulled the old fittings and hard lines out, cleaned the surface lightly and installed the new AN conversion fittings. Its hard to get pictures of them, but you can see the front fitting being installed.

Because of the way the fan mounts, I wanted to have it centered the best I could, and I needed to make sure there was adequate room above the coil for airflow, yet mounted high enough so it would hang and become a hazard. This meant I also needed to switch it to Pusher configuration. This meant pulling the blade and flipping it, and the wiring.

Then it was time to fab up some mounts; I recycled the old mounts and made one new one out of some scrap.

Then it was time to fit the cooler in place, and hook up the lines. You can see in the end pictures, we made some standoffs to hold the cooler in place at the desired height, and offers some adjustability. The cooler fan moves CRAZY air, and controls with the pcm fan control, can't wait to see how it performs on the street.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote