View Single Post
Old 08-26-2018, 09:41 AM   #114
cruizin01

Re: '78 K20 to C10. Almost 20 years in the making.

Friday night was a great night. My buddy came over and convinced me we should go for a test drive. So we pulled out the driveway and up the road we go. When my junk yard trans shifted smoothly into 2nd, 3rd and 4th gear I was relieved. The truck rides like a dream. Super impressed with the ride quality. BUT, my headers have to go. We dragged them over several very small bumps in the road. So Im ordering some mid-length headers right now. Was hoping I could get by but they just arent gonna work. Everything else on the truck seemed to work well. It definitely needs a shorter gear for what Im trying to do with the truck. It does like 30-35mph in first gear. Luckily the truck makes good torque so its no slouch. The trans does a nice 1-2 chirp the tires shift. I need to adjust the rpm that the trans shifts because the sniper is cutting fuel in 2nd before the trans shifts. We did a couple burnouts and a big ole donut before heading back home. Success.

Spent hours and hours this past week trying to get the paint corrected on the truck. It had lots of scratches and a few chips from years of being uncovered in the garage. Even using microfiber pads and a pretty aggressive compound many of the scratches buffed out pretty hard. I had to go over the truck several times to remove 80-90% of the defects.

I finally got it to where I was happy with it so I washed it up yesterday to prep it for some sealant. I wiped it down with isopropyl alcohol only to realize some of microfiber towels I was using scratch the paint back up. So I had to go back over several spots again to clean it up. Anyway, its done and I can seal it today.

I should have my hood and other parts back this week. The bodyshop said they'll be spraying it this week. Pretty stoked for that.